The US Soccer Federation now have a new president who was former vice president and former US Olympics and World Cup Champion: Parlow Cone. She’s now the first US Soccer female president in 107 years of existence of the federation. And she swung to quick action yesterday by replacing Seyfarth Shaw who had represented them since last year with Latham Watkins law firm. This new law firm has reached a reconciliatary cord with other side which culminated in a joint move for summary judgments, asking U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner to decide in their favor without a trial, currently scheduled for May 5. They filed final documents associated with those requests late Monday night.
Cone took over as head of American soccer’s governing body last week when Carlos Cordeiro abruptly resigned because of the backlash over the documents, submitted by the USSF as it defended a gender discrimination lawsuit filed by women’s national team players.
Last week’s legal filing was an error,” Parlow Cone said. “It resulted from a fundamental breakdown in our internal process that led to offensive assertions made by the federation that do not represent our core values.”She went further by strucking a conciliatory tone;“the WNT is the most successful soccer team in the world. As it relates to the lawsuit filed by the women, I offer the perspective of a former player. I know how important it is for both the federation and the players to move beyond this and keep working together on what unites us,” she said. “We only have one federation and one senior women’s national team.