Sighting escalation of stress fracture which is medically called complication can be frightening by all and sundry.
Mere standing or simple innocuous jump run by an athlete may bring instant fracture. When this happens, the big questions that are always followed are: why will a trained athletes’ limp succumb to fracture suddenly by mere standing with out any trauma when their bone density suppose to be high due regular exercises.
That bring us to the topic, STRESS FRACTURE. It is a microcrack of the bone which is caused by repetitive trauma.
- Pain, swelling or aching direct on the bone.
- Tenderness or “pinpoint pain” when touched on the bone.
- Pain that begins after starting an activity and then resolves with rest.
- Pain that’s present throughout the activity and does not go away after the activity has ended.
- Pain which occurs while at rest, during normal activity or with everyday walking.
- Pain which is worse with hopping on one leg or an inability to shift weight/hop on affected leg/foot.
How can doping induce stress fracture? Use of anabolic steroids causes loss of bone density which can increases rapidly in the first 6 months of use. Athletes on doping are highly susceptible to stress fracture likewise athletes on low supplement.
Early Physiotherapy and medical treatment can help to address it and stop it’s tragentory to full blown fracture.