Despite the enthusiasm raised by the Australia athletes to attend 2021 World Athletics Relays coming up in May in Poland, Athletics Australia has announced it’s withdrawal from the event because of coronavirus concerns.
The decision to pull out of the event, due to be staged in Silesia from May 1 to 2, was made in light of the COVID-19 situation in Poland and greater Europe, the Athletics Australia said.
The decision to pull out of the event, due to be staged in Silesia from May 1 to 2, was made in light of the COVID-19 situation in Poland and greater Europe, Athletics Australia said.
Athletics Australia chief executive Darren Gocher said that while the withdrawal is disappointing for athletes, a thorough process had been undertaken to consider all associated risks with travelling to Poland and the quarantine requirements on their return to Australia.
“It is always disappointing to withdraw a team from a major event however we believe the decision is in the best interest of the health and safety of our athletes, staff and coaches,” Gocher said.
“We acknowledge the work World Athletics is doing in attempting to hold a safe event ahead of the Tokyo Olympics, however after seeking the advice of medical professionals and considering health risks, current Government advice and the need to quarantine upon return to Australia, it was decided it is not viable or safe to travel to Poland for this event.”
In lieu of the World Athletics Relay Championships, Athletics Australia plans to host relay events in June with the support of Oceania Athletics so that its relay teams can seek the qualifying standards needed to compete at the Tokyo Olympic Games, scheduled for this July.