The world 1500 Champion who suspended for missed test, Elijah Motonei Manang’oi is confident of clearing his name. He claimed the missed test is not intentional and very apologetic to his coach and fans.
“What I can say is each of the missed tests happened during 2019, my case has nothing to do with prohibited substances and I have always competed as a clean athlete,” said Manang’oi.
“I know I have let people down in particular my coach and fellow athletes. I also know that no matter what I say here I will be criticized,” said Manang’oi explaining that last year was the worst period of his career where an injury impacted everything on and off the track.
Manang’oi, the 2015 World 1,500m and 2018 Continental Cup champion, said he didn’t miss the tests intentionally adding that he will be ready to prove it in his defence.
“The facts of the cases are clear in my mind and I am sure there will be a time when it is appropriate to go into more detail. But right now I am focused on compiling a formal response to the AIU so I won’t be commenting further,” said Manang’oi on his Facebook page.
Manang’oi failed to defend his world 1,500m title in Doha last year owing to a stress fracture on his right leg. That gave his teammate at Rongai Athletics club, Timothy Cheruiyot an opportunity to reign.
Manang’oi was preparing for a comeback in Monaco on August 14 this year.
Manang’oi, who had not competed since winning the national 1,500m title on August 22 at the Nyayo National Stadium after the stress fracture recurred in training, made a return at the Impossible Games during the Maurie Plant Memorial Race on June 11.